Holiday Brownies, Cook This…Get Laid Style

Share, if you dare...Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Fudgy, delicious brownies with minimal guilt. Thanks so much Chef Brian!

Happy holidays my healthy cooks!  I’m sitting here snacking on my latest brownie recipe from the wonderful chef Brian Berle.  I asked him to make a recommendation for something that is typically an oxymoron:  a healthy dessert.

I’ve been hunting for a healthy dessert with the same fervor as the search for Bigfoot, and both parties have not recovered much (aside from rumored beast sightings, a bad reality television show, and from my end: decorative fruit platters).  So many desserts are filled with fat or sugar, which I try to avoid (not always successfully).  A friend suggested vegan desserts, but many of them have soy-which I’m not a big fan of, and overly sweet desserts don’t do it for me either.  Can you sense my problem?  What’s a picky woman to do when the sweet tooth hits?  And what can you prepare when your wife/girlfriend wants something sweet that doesn’t add inches to her hips?

The search is over now that I have a very creative chef in my corner.  This is one of chef Brian’s originals, he found a pretty bland brownie recipe with no dairy, doctored it up, and the rest is fudgy, guiltless goodness history.

You might be turned off when I reveal the main ingredient:  black beans.  I’m eating them now and they’re delicious, chocolaty, fudgy, and moist.  They can be prepped in five minutes and fully baked in 20.  More importantly, they’re low in fat, carbs, sugar and sweetness.  And if your lady is vegan, she’ll absolutely love them.  Even your hard core carnivore will love them!

I hope your holiday celebrations are filled with loved ones, drink and delicious food.  Enjoy!

Black Bean Brownies

This recipe qualifies as a fantastic, top of the charts, Cook This...Get Laid recipe.

• 15 ounces organic black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 whole bananas (organic are not necessary)
  • 1/3 cup raw agave nectar (traditional is fine too)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)
  • 1/4 cup instant oats

Blend everything except oats until the batter becomes smooth.  A food processor is best, but a blender is fine too.  Taste the batter. If it’s not sweet enough for you, add more agave or sugar. But not too much!!   When the batter is smooth, add the oats.  When everything is well-blended, pour batter into an 8×8 greased pan.

Cook at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until a clean toothpick comes out.  If you want them more fluffy and less fudgy you can add 1/4 cup more oats.

NOTE: ox·y·mo·ron is not an idiot that takes oxycontin.

If this delicious recipe isn’t for you, try my fantastic gluten-free banana bread!

About Mona

I'm a food writer and home cook that loves to talk about healthy food and romance.
This entry was posted in Dessert, Late Night Snack and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Holiday Brownies, Cook This…Get Laid Style

1. Lorii Abela says:

Great recipe! Definitely, will try making this. 🙂

• Mona says:

You’ll love it Lorii, and when you taste the batter, if you’d like it more sweet – just add a little more agave or sugar. Everyone’s tastebuds are different! Thanks for reading.

2. Who would have thought you could make brownies with black beans? Wild…thanks for sharing!

3. Marie Leslie says:

I may just have to try this one. Black beans in my brownies? Who would have thought? Someone gave me a “healthy” recipe the other day for brownies that had coffee and tofu in it. I’m not a soy fan either and I don’t drink coffee so it was a no go, but black beans I might be willing to try.

• Mona says:

This recipe is so easy Marie, it’s a short shopping list, prep and cook time.

Enjoy this soy-free deliciousness!

4. WOW! Very impressive! I’m definitely saving this…so into being healthy and chocolate too -)

5. Mona says:

Thanks so much Elise! When you try it, definitely let me know how it turns out!

6. caroline says:

ummmm love it, will def have to try it!
    LOVE the blog, it always makes me laugh and puts a smile on my face!
    happy holidays to all 🙂

7. WOW! What a great idea…I think I will have to try this one out! Thanks for sharing!

8. Thanks for this! I love sweets! Thank you for providing this healthier brownie recipe! I’m definitely going to give a try!

• Mona says:

Thanks so much Antonina, the chef that gave me the recipe was really inspired to keep creating healthy recipes. So this dessert’s origin truly is a labor of love.

9. Brownie Dizzle says:

OMG! So great!!!

10. Very impressive recipe… I just might try this out! Looks yummy… Thanks!
    The LEARNED Preneur @ NormaDoiron.NET

11. Tara says:

I’ve made black bean brownies before but they didn’t look as scrummy as yours!
    The kids saw through them straight away! Now yours, on the other hand, might just be disguised enough for me to get them to eat them! :))
    Thanks for the recipe.

12. Black beans in brownies.. I just have to try it now. They look awesome and easy to make. Thanks, Mona!

13. My best friend makes these, and they’re amazing! I’ll have to try this recipe and see if it’s the same.
    Thanks for sharing and happy holidays!

14. Craig Nisker says:

They we soooooo delicious! Yum!

15. Those sound very good although I’m not really a bean fan. I may just have to try it sometime. I’ll probably add some protein powder as well just because.

16. Jennifer says:

Brownies are my favorite food in the whole world! While I just can’t get my head around these, the recipe has peaked my interest so much that I just have to try it. I’m also looking forward to the gluten-free banana bread. Thanks for sharing, I’m trying so hard to find healthy alternatives to satisfy my sweet tooth.

• Mona says:

Hey there Jennifer,

I would love to hear how they turn out! Thanks so much for reading. Do you try to stay gluten-free?

17. Gillian says:

I’m not vegan, but I thought this recipe would be good for “sneaking in some nutrition”, and for glucose-free friends. But I’m sorry to say, it wasn’t popular. I’d change it up a bit and try it again though. Less cinnamon (was that supposed to read tsp?) And maybe some rice flour for some body. The chocolate/brown bean combination is definitely a keeper, thanks for introducing me to it.

• Mona says:

Gillian,

I COMPLETELY appreciate your honesty. I’m well aware that this recipe won’t resonate with everyone. Let me know what you come up with!