Mulled Wine, Just In Time for Valentine’s Day

Share, if you dare...Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Watch Episode 3 from my You Tube channel! Just click “play.” Or read it the good old-fashioned way below.

Picture this:  your beloved woman enters your home on a cold winter night.  She takes off her coat, rubs her hands together trying to generate warmth while you hand her a glass of mulled wine, then kiss her.  She smiles, takes a sip, and within a moment – she realizes she’s gonna give you some.

I know it sounds far-fetched, but it’s not entirely an impossible scenario.  We are suckers for kind and thoughtful acts, and one just like the aforementioned may actually result in testing the bed springs.  Women are not complex creatures, we just want a special man to note the little details and make us feel like we’re special.  This requires that you pay attention to her likes and dislikes, preferences and second-choices, especially those ‘to-die-for’ foods and ‘will-die-if-she-eats-something-she’s-highly-allergic-to’ foods.

If you pair this gorgeous drink with a meal you prepare for her on Valentine’s Day, perhaps there will be a baby-making marathon on your hands.

Cook This…Get Laid Mulled Wine (Inspired by the wonderful Jaime Oliver)

This qualifies as a fully successful CTGL recipe. MAKE IT NOW.

• Organic fine sugar
  • Zest/peel from one tangerine or tangelo
  • Zest/peel from one half lemon
  • Juice from 2 fresh tangelos or tangerines
  • Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon (please don’t use the juice from the fake grocery store lemons, the taste won’t be right)
  • 3 tablespoons of stevia (if you don’t have this, organic fine sugar is okay. Not great, but okay)
  • 3 Bay leaves
  • 1 whole bean vanilla pod (or high quality vanilla extract)
  • 1 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg (fresh is always GREAT)
  • a half teaspoon of cloves
  • 1 teaspoon of anise seed
  • 2 bottles dry red wine (Chianti is great, if you’re not sure just ask your specialty shop)

Most enjoy this around the Christmas holidays, but there’s no reason why you can’t use this recipe throughout the entire winter! Get the zest (or peel) from the tangerine and lemon.  Put the sugar, peel and juice in a medium sized saucepan over a medium/high heat.  Toss in the cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and about 1 tablespoon of nutmeg (fresh is better of course).  Then comes the halved vanilla pod.  Pour in half a bottle of red wine, and keep on a rolling boil for about 4 to 5 minutes, stir and watch it get nice and syrupy.

At this point, remove the pot from the heat.  Add your anise seeds (star anise is better), and both bottles of wine. Gently heat the wine over a low/medium heat and it’s ready to be served in a few minutes. BE CAREFUL though, you don’t want the alcohol to evaporate-so don’t leave it on the flame too long.

Delicious, warm goodness.

About Mona

I'm a food writer and home cook that loves to talk about healthy food and romance.
This entry was posted in Cocktails, CTGL Tip and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Mulled Wine, Just In Time for Valentine’s Day

1. Kim Hawkins says:

I’m gonnna have to try this with the bay leaves. The last recipe I tried did not include them. Sounds delicious!

2. Leah says:

Yumm!!! Definitely will try one of those days!

3. Angie says:

i can’t say that I’m trying to get laid, but I’m thinking this is not too shabby of an idea! It sounds delish and I’ll have to try this. And I would love for my man to do this for me, very thoughtful, and he would definitely score some major points!

4. hmmmm, love mulled wine! You want to know what? I never ever thought to serve it other than at Christmas! hahaha -thanks so much for the reminder! great job!

• Mona says:

I’m reinventing this for anytime during the winter months. I love it SO much, why should we wait only once a year?

5. Dawn Ranieri says:

This drink sounds amazing! I may just have to try this for Valentine’s Day!

6. Anita says:

Great idea to share and recipe. Thanks for the Valentine tips and I will be sure and share this:)

7. AJ Perisho says:

Great recipe, now I have to get rid of the kids!
    Better call grandma 🙂

8. Mari-Lyn says:

Great recipe and I loved your story on creating romance.

9. Molly Rider says:

I love the image of my man giving me a kiss and a glass of wine as I enter the door. I definitely think that’ do it for me 🙂

10. Kim Garst says:

I am loving all these wonderful recipes! Thanks for sharing!

11. Lorii Abela says:

Thanks for sharing this great recipe, Mona.

12. Erica Ardali says:

I’d love to have you write a little sexy something for Menu Monday over on my blog! Love your blog! 🙂

13. Love the recipe! Thanks for sharing!

14. Yum! Recipe sounds divine… (-_-) Thanks for sharing! x0x
    The LEARNED Preneur @NormaDoiron.NET

15. Yum! Great recipe… love it! Thanks for sharing. x0x
    The LEARNED Preneur @NormaDoiron.NET

16. Still chuckling….You have such a unique and humorous approach….THank you for a great recipe!

17. Jennifer says:

You are so funny Mona, you can make any recipe sound yummy and fun to make! I’m not a wine drinker but will pass this one on to a good friend of mine. Love the fact that you use Stevia, it’s my favorite sweetener.

18. Marie Leslie says:

I’m not a wine drinker, so I have to figure out how to translate mulled wine into a non-alcoholic drink. I love all the spices and ingredients, they sound like a heavenly combo–just what to make it with. . . .

19. I’ve never had mulled wine but this recipe sounds just yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

20. Carol Giambri says:

Never had such a recipe but thanks for sharing. It could be on my “to make” list fast.